Thursday, October 1, 2009

Rite Way to Haze?

I think not. Many students have participated in hazing, or have been hazed in their schools. To many it's a "Rite of Passage", used in sororities, fraternities, gangs, and sports teams. To others, it's harrassment. Making others do unbearable tasks, calling people unforgettable names, taking control of their body, it's horrible. In a high school in New Jersey, the so-called "Mean Girls" have possibly scarred the freshman girls for the next 4 years of their life. In one fraternity, some took it too far, and caused some to get burned.




In the famed movie, "A Walk To Remember", the beginning scene is actually a hazing scene, causing one of the teens to get serious head damage.

I believe that hazing is wrong. It's a good thing we never see it here in my school, but just the thought of that it's going around in other schools is pretty disturbing.

3 comments:

  1. This reminded me of an episode on hazing that I saw on the Tyra Show. They were talking about the girls from that school in Jersey. I think it's horrible what they do. I find myself wondering why you would even want to participate in that kind of stuff. During the show they had guests that have been victims of hazing and people who actually do the hazing. They even said that the "hazers" made them eat cat food. Personally i think that's absolutely disgusting. Hazing is supposedly a tradition for both girls and boys entering a new club or activity. There is emotional hazing and physical hazing. Some people take it too far though and it can be very harmful and depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read this post, I thought back to the movie you mentioned. I loved that movie and it's so sad. It's horrible to see how the thought of one person can really affect another. I don't know why people think it's really fun or get an enjoyment out of hazing, it's really sick. Why is this tradition? It's really horrible to think one person is living a nightmare because of someone else. I also remember the episode on the tyra banks show, that adriana has mentioned. It's so hard to believe or even think of the people who like to haze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Sam. Hazing seems like a really disturbing subject, mentally and physically. This reminds me of a commercial I saw about hazing and slugging. At the time, I had a vague point of view on the subject. The commercial didn't help much, but I learned quickly on my own. Hazing is a horrible "tradition" for kids to follow. Not only does it leave physical scars, it can leave serious mental scars, that cause for issues later in life. I personally think this is disgusting that people would actually consider doing this to other people.

    ReplyDelete